The Auditorium Hotel was built in 1926 by Houston investor Michele DeGeorge (1850-1927), who came to the United States from Italy in 1881. Designed by architect Joseph Finger (1887-1953), the building features Italian Renaissance detailing in the upper stories.
Originally constructed across the street from the City Auditorium, now the site of Jones Hall, its history dates back to birth of the Houston Theater District and contributes to its significance as a Houston Landmark during the city’s commercial development. Theatrical stars performing at the neighboring Theatres were regular guests at the Auditorium Hotel.
In 1983, the Auditorium Hotel was repositioned as the Lancaster Hotel, Houston’s first boutique hotel. In 1984, it received a Texas State Landmark and more recently, as the only qualifying hotel in Houston, became a member of the Historic Hotels of America. The Lancaster is also the only historic hotel in the City owned and operated by descendants of the original developer.
Today, The Lancaster Hotel is an exceptional venue located in the heart of Houston’s theatre and business district. The local landmark has the charm of a traditional Houston hotel and offers tranquility and comfort where guests can relax amidst distinctive décor, original 19th century art, beautiful furnishings and outstanding service.